Gazpacho is a traditional Spanish vegetable soup mostly eaten during summer because it is served cold. This soup does not require cooking, you just need to have a decent blender and you are good to go. The result is a fresh and refreshing soup and perfect for hot summer days. Just make sure you let it get properly cold before serving it. 🙂
(makes about 5 liters; if you filter it, you end up with about 2.5 to 3 liters)
For the Gazpacho
- 2 kg tomatoes (roughly 16 pieces)
- 1½ cucumbers
- 2 green, 1 red, 1 yellow bell pepper
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 6 slices of toast
- olive oil, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, “crema de balsamico”, potherbs, oregano
For the Toppings
- ½ cucumber
- 1 green and 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 3-4 slices of toast
How to Make It
- Wash the tomatoes and cut out the stalks. Take a sharp knife and make a big “X” at the bottom of the tomato.
- Take a pot and heat up enough water to submerge the tomatoes in it. Once the water is hot, put the tomatoes in it and wait until the skin starts to come off. This usually takes no more than 30 seconds. Then take the tomatoes out of the water and let them cool off.
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks and put them into the blender.
- Wash and peel the cucumbers. Dice them and put the pieces into the blender.
- Peel the cloves of garlic, cut them into slices, and add them to the rest of the ingredients in the blender.
- Take the slices of toast and cut off the crust. Put the crust to the side; you can use it for the toppings later. Soak the bread for 10-15 minutes in cold water, then carefully squeeze out the water and put the bread into the blender.
- Blend all your ingredients thoroughly in the blender.
- Add at least 2 teaspoons of salt and freshly ground pepper each, 8 tablespoons of olive oil, 6 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons of “crema de balsamico”, and 2 teaspoons of oregano. Add potherbs as you see fit (I am a big fan, so I add 4-5 tablespoons easily). Blend again.
- Take a food mill and sieve the blended soup. Let it sit for 30 minutes, taste it, and adjust the seasoning.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours. When serving, the gazpacho must be very cold.
- Before serving, prepare the toppings.
- Wash the bell peppers and dice them.
- Wash the cucumber, peel, and dice it.
- Wash and dice the tomatoes.
- Cut the slices of toast into pieces. Take the leftover crusts from the toast for the gazpacho and cut them into pieces as well. Take out a small pan and heat up 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil. Fry the pieces of toast in the oil until they are golden brown. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle the toppings on the gazpacho and serve it. Enjoy cold!