When my husband came to Germany, he discovered cream cheese and has been a fan ever since. 🙂 Needless to say, self-made cream cheese tastes so much better than the store-bought alternative. This recipe is super easy and does not take long at all – and you can add whatever additional ingredients you like.
(makes about 90 g of cream cheese)
- 500 ml buttermilk
- 5-7 teaspoons chopped potherbs (basil, parsley, chives, …)
- salt and pepper
How to Make It
- Heat up the buttermilk in a pot until it is between 60-70° C hot. Do not boil it!
- As the buttermilk warms up, it will begin to curdle. Once the whey has separated from the cream, pour everything through a cloth.
- Take the cream cheese out of the cloth and put it into a container. Stir. If the cream cheese is too dry and lumpy, add a bit of the whey.
- Chop up the potherbs and stir them into the cream cheese.
- Add salt and pepper according to personal preferences.
- The cream cheese tastes great on self-baked bread… 😉