Well, if you are making your own pizza dough, then the next step is to cook your own pizza sauce, really. It tastes so much better than store-bought tomato sauce! Below I describe how to cook your own sauce and I won’t lie – it can get a bit messy. This is why I always make more and store leftover sauce in preserving jars in the fridge. This way, you have to clean up the mess only once, but have sauce for 2-3 pizzas. 😉
Let me know in the comments below or on Instagram and Twitter how messy your stove got and whether you like the pizza sauce.
Makes enough for two to three pizzas the size of standard baking trays.
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 cans of pre-cut tomatoes (1.200 ml in total)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- spices: salt, pepper, chili, oregano, …
- 2-3 preserving jars
How to Make It
- Peel the garlic and chop it into small pieces. Chop up the onion as well.
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a pot and heat it up. Add the garlic and the onion and gently fry the pieces until golden.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Let the tomatoes simmer for 20-30 minutes until the liquid has evaporated and the sauce has been condensed to about two thirds or even half of the original amount.
- Season it with salt, pepper, oregano, and chili.
- You can fill left-over sauce into the preserving jars, close them, and store them in the fridge for about a week to ten days.